Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shop Til You Drop

I don't like to shop for shoes, and clothes, and accessories. Once, my husband (then boyfriend) and I walked out of a store, many years ago, he gasped "but you didn't buy anything?". I think that was when it dawned on me that I may be a little defective in 'women's shopping'. It was not a subject that I took in my all-girl high school.

I get antsy when I have to shop for clothes. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at all the "cute" dresses and shoes, but I think the problem is dealing with trying them on, and changing, and staring in the mirror, then finding something else to try on, then having to change back. So boring. When it comes to clothes, I look for the quickie shop. In and out under ten minutes, not a hair out of place.

I don't know if it stems from having to sit around waiting for my mom to try on her 20th shoe, or that I just wear one "outfit" (jeans, t-shirt, sneakers), that makes me so speedy when it comes to buying clothes and shoes. But just ask my husband, I am a closeted designer (pun intended). I parade around, in the comfort of my home, with new "fashions" that I have come up with. I know why people don't look good in outfits, and I can make it better. I just don't like shopping...

for clothes. I do, however, love to go food shopping. I like to handle fruits; smell them, pinch them, tap them, caress them. I like to look at the freshness and quality of meat, the veins of fat running through a steak, the pinkness of salmon. I like to see different types of breads and check out cheeses. I like to imagine how these foods would be in a dish.

No wonder I used to go to the supermarket everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment