Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Driving Force

When I turned 16 the only thing that was on my mind was how angry I was not to get into the Driver's Ed Class. This was due to the fact that I was born one day after the cutoff date. Oh how I raged. I went to the driver's ed teacher, I pleaded with my vice-principal and principal (neither were "pals"), I spoke to my guidance counselor, and griped to my parents, all to no avail. Eventually, I got to do outside classes and managed to get my license a few weeks after my friends got theirs, which, to me, was better than waiting 6 months.

Here I am, 14 years later, actually contemplating a life without a car. This thing that has been part of me and something I've equated with freedom and adventure, has almost become a hassle, a dead limb that needs to be trimmed off. It's been nearly two months since I last put gas in the car, and every time I have to drive it somewhere I have to listen to its squeals, and grinding moans, and worry that it will fail while I am far from home.

Is it just time for a new car? Or is it time for no car?

No comments:

Post a Comment