Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bittersweet Episode

A few days ago I made chocolate chip cookies, but following America's Test Kitchen's advice on the chips, I used Ghirardelli's Bittersweet chips, because they claimed that the taste was better than Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips.

I made the first two batches from my original dough, but the third batch I added more chips, at someone else's advice. Turns out, we all preferred the first two batches, because the intermittent bittersweetness of the chips was much more preferable to the more constant flavor with more chips added.

Now, I like experimenting with flavors but I have been cooking for 22 years and watching food shows since Marin Yan and Julia Child, albeit only baking sparsely in those early years, however, I would like to think that I almost have a sixth sense when it comes to flavor pairings. I intentionally placed less chips because they were too big, and because they weren't too sweet. I do put less Nestle's chips in as well, but I did skimp on the Ghirardelli's more than what I do with the other brand.  I also understand that if we hadn't added more chips then we'd never know that we liked those more than the last batch. But I did know. I knew I wouldn't like the more aggressive approach with the chocolate. Just like I knew that grapes and peanuts would be a great combination, like peanut butter and jelly.

Needless to say, I did think the bittersweet chips were too bittersweet, in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment