Sunday, January 9, 2011

'A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Must Begin With A Single Step' - Lao Tzu

I'm currently reading Celandine (The Various II): Touchstone Trilogy (I link to the UK version because I much prefer their cover art to the U.S. version), and there is a bit of it that has to do with a wearisome, danger-filled journey. This made me think of my favorite books and how much dangerous traveling was done. Examples follow: The final Harry Potter book, a lot of going back and forth all across England, looking for hallows and horcruxes. The endless march across Middle Earth in the Lord of the Ring series. The Narnian travels, fleeing from the White Witch, marching through forests, etc. Lyra's quest that takes her to different worlds, and different sceneries, in the His Dark Materials trilogy.

Now that you caught my drift...

I understand that journeys are literal and metaphoric ways for the characters to "grow up". The passage of time and the escapes from danger caused by the journeys change the characters physically and emotionally. They learn to rely on their own judgment and to trust their friends and fellow travelers.

So the question is, would I, sitting here on this watery rock that travels about at 67,000 miles per hour, feel any sort of transformation if I were to be part of an odyssey?

No comments:

Post a Comment